Monday, July 31, 2006

The Power of the Dog - Not A Review



As you know, I don't do reviews. I don't need that kind of pressure. Parsing plots, evaluating prose, dissecting craft is a lot like work, and I don't need any more of that.

This is an appreciation. The Power of the Dog is a great book. Winslow uses the history of the Drug War and our insane, immoral and ultimately counterproductive involvement in Latin American politics as a foundation for this book. There are times it's tough to tell what's fiction and what's fact, because so much of this has been kept secret from us, the average schmucks. And that's because our foreign policy and this fekakta Drug War are being run by people who make Mel Gibson look sane.

Man, I wish I'd written this. Pick it up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the best books of the decade, in my humble opinion. And, for a lighter look at the entire drug scene Winslow's The Death and Life of Bobby Z is a classic, David.

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Dammit, David. Like I don't have enough on my TBR pile. ;-) Thanks for the recommend. I'll pick up a copy.

Unknown said...

Isn't it amazing? And I second Janine on BOBBY Z. Just fantastic.

Goddamn that Don Winslow...

Anonymous said...

Every Winslow book I pick up, I wish I'd written it. CALIFORNIA FIRE AND LIFE was fantastic and POWER OF THE DOG, I need to get a hold of that bastard sharpish. If only my TBR weren't tottering.