Monday, September 10, 2007

What do people who don't read do in waiting rooms?



I asked this question again as we waited in the hospital ER last Friday. What do people do who don't read?

This weekend I finished The Dramatist and Running Blind.






Molly finished To the Power of Three and started Water for Elephants.





Poor Jenny was stuck without a book on Friday so she bought something from the woefully inadequate selection in Duke Hospital's gift shop. She said there were plenty of religious books and inspirational tracts (which I find disconcerting in an institution dedicated to science), but they inspired Jenny to ask where the hell the fiction was.



They found a few books, Jenny bought one but it sucked.

So what do people who don't read do in waiting rooms? How do they pass the time? I can't imagine.

Ever been stuck somewhere with nothing to read? That, my inspirational friends, is my idea of hell.

4 comments:

mybillcrider said...

MD Anderson has free wireless internet access. I take the laptop.

Anonymous said...

I've found crossword puzzle books to also be handy. And hospitals usually stock those seek and find word search books too if you're really in a bind.

When all else fails, I see how long it takes me to get my family going. They're good for hours of entertainment.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I pace. Ar least it burns calories until I hit the candy machine

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

I carry a few books on my Palm Pilot, plus two verions of the Bible and a few games. I love my Palm Pilot! I'm wanting a Treo phone so one gadget will do it all.

Currently I'm carrying The Art of War, The Last of the Mohicans, and The Wizard of Oz. Yeeeeaaah. I'm a bit eccentric. So what?

Dread