Sunday, November 04, 2007

The last one here, please turn off the lights.

I was so angry on Friday.

It looks like we are now a nation that has legalized a practice we once prosecuted as a war crime.

It looks like our new Attorney General believes that the law applies to everyone but the president.

It looks like a war with Iran depends on which side of the bed the VP gets out of, because the Congress can't stop it, the people can't stop it and the media needs something bigger to cover than Britney.

But by Saturday, none of that made any difference. Fuck it. They'll do what they do, regardless of what I think.

Molly is back in the hospital. Each time is worse than the time before. She can't work. She has cut off her friends. She has quit the band. She's given up ever feeling right again.

My wife is a rock, but she is tired. I've lost hope. I am resigned to the family being broken, bankrupt and, in the end, I believe we'll still lose her.

In the meantime, we drive to work, we go to meetings, we write for pharmaceuticals that don't seem able to help any of us, we make meals we don't eat and we sleep without dreams.

We're going dark here for a few days. Maybe longer.

I knew you'd understand.

3 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

The political can never take precedence over the personal. And it shouldn't. All good thoughts.

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Words can't express how sad I am for you right now, so I'm not going to try.

Thoughts and prayers. And if there's anything I can do, even from my remote distance, don't hesitate to ask.

Christa M. Miller said...

David, I haven't left a comment here in a very long time, but I've been reading faithfully - and praying for Molly and your family, even though I neglected to let you know it. I am so very sorry to see this latest news, and will continue to pray for you all. Please take care.