Wednesday, December 09, 2009

The day a stranger shot my youth in the ass.

Twenty nine years ago, Jenny was pregnant and had gone to bed early. I stayed up, watching TV.

Then a man came on and said John Lennon had been shot and killed.

A month later I would be a father. My life would change forever, catapulted into responsible adulthood, ready or not.

But that night it felt like my youth, or what was left of it at age 30, was gunned down on that New York City sidewalk with John Lennon.

It's a sad anniversary.

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

It was so damned shocking. I will never forget it. I was 32. Too old for illusions but yet a rock singer/writer....

Jerry House said...

It was like a hard punch to the stomach. Unfortunately one of many...

wv: thequel -- the one authorized by the author's estate