Monday, October 01, 2007

Name this band and win a prize.



Since you have generously helped me through some tough times lately, I think you deserve to hear some really good news.

(two positive posts in a row? impossible.)

My daughter's band made its debut last night. It's a 9-piece Memphis soul band with a kick-ass horn section and one little white girl with a great big voice in front. The place was packed, they played one set and blew the room away.

And no, I'm not biased.

I'd show you a picture I took with my new cell phone but I can't figure out how to send it to my email. But other people did take pictures and there might be a recording of some of their songs which I will post as soon as I get them, being a proud father and all.

Molly certainly has earned the right to sing the blues and when she tackled Otis Redding's Pain In My Heart you could tell she'd been there. She has a natural presence, is comfortable fronting the band and was having the time of her life. She's worked hard putting this band together and she deserved all the fan adulation.

It's about time good things came her way.

And today she starts a new job. Yay!

Today, I'm calling all Planeteers to help out the band and perhaps gain a bit of immortality. The band has no name. It's a soul band, with an emphasis on that Stax Volt horn-powered sound, and so far they've kicked around Souled Out, The Bull City Soul Revue, Is That Suede? (Molly's favorite, but the band said nah), and a few other soul variations.

So, name this band and I'll send you something. A book by a friend, maybe a recording of the band, I don't know yet, but it'll be good. And you'll have bragging rights down at the pub.

So send me your names and if the band chooses yours, you're a winner!

UPDATE: Apparently the unnamed band made quite an impression. Owners of neighboring bars have asked them to play their places and they're lining up gigs all over town. Pretty cool. So keep those names coming. I'll keep you posted.

28 comments:

Daniel Hatadi said...

It's a little obvious, but I've always liked the movie Coming To America. Since Sexual Chocolate was the name of the band in the flick, how about the product that gave everyone 'soul' hair?

"Soul Glow"

Anonymous said...

"Sweet Soul Blue"

Congrats to your daughter. It's a wonderful thing when life comes together for those great moments.

Ray Banks said...

The Raging Horns.

(Can't take credit for that, seeing as I used to be in a band of that name, which was very similar to the one you described, except I was the white girl - oh, and there was some ska in addition to the soul).

DebbyJ said...

The Heart & Soul Revue

Anonymous said...

Soul to the nines

Anonymous said...

The State of Soul

Liquid Soul Return

Soul Capacity

Condition: Soul & Flow

Soul Purpose

Soul Apparatus

Soul Sphere Revolution

Principle of Soul

Dirty Blue Soul Revue

Naming a band seems fun. Am I disqualified for too many entries?

Kat

Anonymous said...

Soul Stax

Staxed Soul

Suede Stax

4 Guys and The Blonde -- nah. Something along the number of band members + Molly.

Volt of Blue

Staxed Blue

Staxed Volt


I give up. Why I'm not in advertising. Let alone a writer.


Is she down here or in NYC?

Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Good Golly Miss Molly

David Terrenoire said...

Kat, it's impossible to offer up too many names and Jeanne, she's here in Durham where her aged parents can go to hear her play.

Really, this is the best news our family's had in a long time.

Anonymous said...

She's here? You'll have to post where they're playing. Good news, indeed.

Jeanne

pattinase (abbott) said...

Soulution.

Oh, to be able to play an instrument.

Anonymous said...

I think I've posted improperly so this probably won't show up either.

Stax Ten


Jeanne

Anonymous said...

Thanks Uncle David-

What about the "In Souls"?

Kat

Anonymous said...

Only thing I could come up with was "My Dad's A Doofus."

I would seriously love to hear those recordings if you can get them up.

Anonymous said...

The Fallen Fifths
The Brazen Horde
Brass Pillows
or
Brass Staxs

Anonymous said...

A few more...

Horn Derby
Memphis Fumes
Brass Lungs
and
Brass & Pipes

Anonymous said...

I really think it needs to have Stax somewhere in the name.


Jeanne

David Terrenoire said...

So far, Jeff's band name has really struck a chord.

I don't know why.

Anonymous said...

Memphis Sol

soul/sol/sun/Sun Records

Stephen D. Rogers said...

Band name idea:

Broken Down Couch.

Stephen

Anonymous said...

Soul Survivors might work...

Janine

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a retro fun band. They should be able to get some gigs. I really think I should hear them first, but we'll see what I can come up with. As with most of my titles, all or parts have been lifted from something else.
1. Night Train
2.The Last Good Kiss
3. Keep Your Hats On
(which could be)
3a. Keep Your Socks On.
3b. Keep Your Pants On.
4. Right In Time.
5. ATF.
6. Baby's On Fire.
(and then there's this, which is probably a couple different names, but could be reconfigured in many different ways.)
7. The Soul Revivalist Church of The Late Night Saviours.
That was fun.
Now I'll resume my regularly scheduled programing of restoring order to the apt. after the honeymoon.
I might be able to paint by Sunday.
I might be able to get over to Durham in 2 weeks.
-SDA.

Anonymous said...

This is sort of unrelated but still about music.
I got my copy of the new Oxford American Music Issue and CD in the mail yesterday.
It looks like another great job by these folks.
Don't know if it's hit the stores yet, but those that are interested in music may want to try and pick it up.
-SDA.

JD Rhoades said...

That's great news about Molly. Glad to see things are looking up for her. As for band names, how about:

Soul Finger
Blue Power and Light
Molly T. and the Private Numbers
Brand New Day
Mr. Big Stuff
Born Too Late
Molly T. and the Sons of Shaft
The Foxy Browns
Soul Dressing
Respect featuring the Amazing Molly T.
Wrap It Up
Slim Jenkins


(many of the above inspired by names of singles from the Stax/Volt catalog)

JD Rhoades said...

A few more, just at random:

Blue Thunder
Soul Thunder
The Horndogs
Cape of Good Horn
The Shafts
Nutbush City Limits
Willie Dynamite
Cleopatra Jones
The Sheba Babies
Dolemite!

Writeprocrastinator said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Writeprocrastinator said...

I removed my suggestion after sleeping on it and realizing that if you don't take it for the tongue-in-cheek that I meant, someone else would take offense.

I apologize.

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

Every Man's Band

:-P