Thursday, March 01, 2007

Why do I love the SC Book Festival?

Yes, I got a chance to hang with Michele Martinez, Jeff Shelby, Bob Morris, Cornelia Read and, because every good experience must be karmically balanced with something evil, Jim Born.

Yes, I met people who had actually read Beneath A Panamanian Moon and seemed to enjoy it (or were excellent liars). Yes, I saw a friend I hadn't seen in 30 years. Yes, I even sold a bunch of books.

Yes, the organizers were all brilliant (and here's a shout out to Paula Millen Watkins, Mary Harris, Paula Benson and Jim and Debby Johnson. They all did their jobs with a casual aplomb that belied the amount of work it took to make the festival roll out so seamlessly.)

Yes, there are many reasons why I love the SC Book Festival. Then yesterday I received a Thank You tin of chocolate chip cookies.

What a class act.

And Mary? I know Jim Born told you scurrilous lies, but if I ever suggested that South Carolina was full of rednecks, I apologize. I didn't see one redneck the entire weekend.

Except Jim Born.

4 comments:

JD Rhoades said...

I wonder if anyone's ever done a survey to see who takes more abuse in our little corner of the blogosphere: Jim Born or Dave White?

Anonymous said...

My vote's on Born. Of course Shelby's up there, too.

What is it with you guys?

JD Rhoades said...

It's a guy thing, Karen. You wouldn't understand.

Anonymous said...

See it's not actual abuse if the person deserves it, and Dave always deserves it.