Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Just what I needed. More books.

If you're ever invited to the South Carolina Book Festival, do not hesitate. Say yes. Go. You will not be sorry.

They treated us like rock stars (minus the groupies, cocaine and A&R weasels).* This kind of star treatment might be a bit too rich for novelists, like feeding chocolate to a starving man, but for a few days out of our lives I think we can survive.

I'll write more on this when I have time and can stretch out a bit, but for now, let me tell you what I brought home:

Joseph Bathanti's Coventry; a few Bob Morris novels including what has to be the best damn title ever, Bermuda Schwartz; the new Field of Fire by Jim Born; A Field of Darkness by Cornelia Read; Finishing School by Michele Martinez; and by special request, a couple of Carl T. Smith's including his latest Louisiana Burn.

There's so much to report and I just don't have the time right now. But in the next few days I'll write about the tireless organizers of the festival, why crime writers have more fun than literary novelists and my theories as to why that's true, the swag of festivals, why Michele Martinez is the perfect panel partner, the readers who buy our books and actually read them, and the special man-love that certain writers share when they're on the road.

Stay tuned.

*I'd appreciate it if the organizers would work on the groupies and blow shortage in time for the next festival, if it's not too much trouble. Thank you.

3 comments:

Karen Olson said...

Jeff Shelby told all us First Offenders all about the festival, and it sounds fabulous. Wish I could've been there!

pattinase (abbott) said...

I am constantly amazed at the number of books the people on Dorothy L seem to read. I wonder if posting the Iraqi address on there might reap some books. I'd be glad to do it.
Also, I have a box ready to send as soon as I can get to the PO.

David Terrenoire said...

Patti, that's great. And please, post the address at DorothyL. I would be most grateful.