Tuesday, May 29, 2007

A Call To Revolution!


What do cats and dogs know that your average American manager doesn't?

OK, that's a trick question. To begin with, American managers are quite competent at kissing someone's else's ass, but their own? No, not so much.



No, I'm talking about naps here, people. That refreshing post-prandial break in the day that we've always suspected was beneficial, but has always been looked upon as sloth by our Calvinist culture.


Well, wrong again, Mr. Corporate Capitalist Oppressor. According to a new book by Harvard University scientist and wide-awake sleep expert Dr Sara Mednick, an afternoon nap can make you thinner, put new bounce in your bedroom, improve your health and your work productivity.

A Greek study published this year said that those having a mid-day snooze have a 37 per cent lower chance of a heart attack. The thinking is, naps act as an antidote to stress. To which nappers like myself repond with a resounding DUH.


Dr Mednick says that nappers make fewer mistakes and have boosted brainpower (that's me!) and learn new skills faster. OK, so not all studies are perfect. I still don't know how to retrieve the voice messages on our cell phone.

But I'm in good company with this nap thing. Bill Clinton and John F. Kennedy, took regular naps, or that's what they told their staff when they closed the door and dimmed the lights.


Winston Churchill not only drank heroically, he also attributed winning the Battle of Britain to naps. Leonardo da Vinci believed napping helped and I concur. Not that I'm inventing the helicopter or anything, but still.

If that's not enough to get this Nap Revolution off the ground, think about this: Recent findings show that the sleep-deprived people are less productive, fatter, more likely to take sick days, struggle with relationships and are more likely to cause accidents like the Exxon Valdez oil spill and Chernobyl. Yikes!

The ideal time to nap is, according to Mendick, between 1 pm and 3pm. According to our two dogs and cat, any time is an ideal nap time.

So put down your tools! Pick up your pillows! And lie down for the nation!


Naps for Industry!

Naps for National Security!
Naps For Health!

Take it from your pets. And sleep your way to a happier, sexier, more productive world. I would lead this revolution, if only I wasn't so tired.

Somebody get the lights.

3 comments:

African Den said...

Hallelujah and amen to that!

I'm a long-time convert to the afternoon nap. I blame, uh, attribute my enlightenment to Stephen King's "On Writing" in which Mr King is a firm siesta advocate. As I've always said to my eyebrow-scrunching wife: wife, do not cast dubious eyes my way. The King himself hath spoken! (though I'm still waiting for the 'thin' benefit of afternoon napping to kick in!)

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

I'm not so sure it is the nap that grants such rich blessings on its partakers, as the benefits themselves are the rewards of living the lifestyle of the type person who indulges naps. I would venture to say the nap taker's entire lifestyle is more conducive to reap those lavish benefits. If you're running a scientific study, count me in on the nap team.

Dread

Anonymous said...

I would've commented on this yesterday, but I was napping.