Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Reading, writing and really wrong reviews.

I've been reading a lot lately, which means I haven't been writing. It was so bad that I considered quitting a few weeks ago. The thought lasted less than 10 seconds, but it scared the dookies out of me. I mean, WTF?

But I'm back on track, writing every day. I'm also trying to keep time open for reading, because I had missed it. In fact, I think it was reading Bruen and Starr, Westlake and Gischler, one after another, that got me back to the keyboard and inspired me to keep going.

I just wanted to thank these fine gentlemen.

But I read another book that didn't inspire me to do anything except toss the damn thing across the room. This book was by a Big Name, one who has won Big Awards, armloads of them, and written a series I'd rather enjoyed in the past. (No, it's not anyone who normally reads the Planet, at least not that I know).

With apologies to David Montgomery, I don't read reviews often, and never before I read the book. But after, I'll often read reviews to see what others think, especially if I thought the book was particularly good or bad.

And in this case, I thought the book was more than just bad, but given the author's past work, it was awful. So I casually took a look at what readers said about this book on Amazon and I have to wonder, did we read the same book?

Most of them gave this guy five friggin' stars. Five! In spite of some of the lamest dialogue I've read in years, unbelievable characters, handy-dandy clues right where the hero needs them, a plot that depends on the hero being an idiot, and an ending you've seen in a dozen direct-to-DVD movies.

What gives? Is it just because I read guys like Westlake and Bruen that my expectations are so high or is it that others' expectations are so low? Could it be just the strength of this author's reputation that makes people give the book a break? I don't know.

So let's talk about reviews.

Do you read them before you read a book or after? Or at all? Do you ever read a review and wonder what the dude was smoking? Do you ever give someone like Crumley or Leonard (and it was neither of these gentlemen) a break because of the body of their work, overlooking what may be a single stinker in a string of gems?

As always, talk to me.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

When it comes to books, I don't read reviews beforehand. I'll read jacket blurbs in the stores (or online) which is usually the deciding factor for me. And being part of the mystery (and romance) community, now I tend to read people I know or have met when it comes to finding new authors. Oftentimes, not even friend's recommendations will spur me on to buy a book, back to that old adage, different strokes. I know what I like, and I'm pleasantly surprised when I find something that fits my mood.

And like you, David, I find some of the gushing reviews unjustified and believe many authors are resting on their laurels of previous - read better - books. I won't go into the whole "big city mystery vs. small town mystery" and decry the lack of decent reviews for folks penning tales set outside NY, LA, and Chicago. Lots of awesome authors are getting overlooked in the review department because they *gasp* write paperback originals. No, I'm not talking about me, but I've actually been involved in a conversation with a reviewer who claims paperbacks are lesser quality writing and not worth the time.

I guess I don't judge an author on a body of work - that said - if the body of work is what I've enjoyed in the past, usually that will get me to buy the newest offering. I have a two strikes rule. Two stinkers in a row and that author is off my list.

Anonymous said...

I definitely don't read the Amazon reviews-I've heard too many rumors about those to believe in their veracity. I subscribe to a heck of a lot of magazines so I read the reviews in all of those and I listen to what my friends say.

It is irritating to read a bestseller and find garbage isn't it? My parents love quite a few of them.

Jim Winter said...

Aside from the fact my Amazon reviews (all 3 of them) find my book super-neato, I don't read Amazon reviews.

I also usually shake my head in pity when someone uses Harriett Klausner for a blurb.

Occasionally, I will read a review before I buy a book. A good reviewer will show his true colors if he loves or hates a book, and I can filter what's said through that.

Of course, that's backfired. I've seen some pretty awful movies simply because CNN.com's Paul Tatara hated them. Never trust a reviewer who spends the first third of a review defending his previous reviews.

Anonymous said...

The book was Field of Fire, right?

You don't have to say it. I know I'm right.

David Terrenoire said...

Jeff,

I said he was a Big Name with Big Awards.

Not that bowling trophy the local Rotary tosses out to the First Literate Citizen of Central Florida Who Does Not Get Caught with Livestock, or whatever the hell that thing was that Born won.

I'm talking big. Big and stinky.

Anonymous said...

If it's someone I've never read before, then a jacket blurb by an author I respect will do it for me, although many times these days I'll look this unknown up and see what else I can find out.
I've been let down more than once by what I thought was one of the best, and for the most part I'll go along with it, but I'm looking a little more closely at their next one. That next one may be checked out from the library, and if that one doesn't work for me, our relationship has ended.

JD Rhoades said...

Lots of awesome authors are getting overlooked in the review department because they *gasp* write paperback originals.

Didn't Crais and Lehane start in PBO?

I generally only read reviews after I've read the book, David. Occasionally, they point up things in the book that I may not have noticed on the first pass, but rarely do they change my opinion of whether or not I thought the book was good or not.

As for your other question, yes, I have put down a book and said, "Wow, that one wasn't one of [insert name here's] best," but it takes at least thrre or four of those before I'll give up on an author I've previously loved. And I'm not naming any names either.

Karen Olson said...

I answered this one over at crimespace. But I'll answer again: I read a Big Debut book that fell flat for me, despite all the good reviews I'd read. I really didn't see that I was reading the same book, this book got so many laurels. I had nothing good to say about it. Perhaps expectations were too high because I'd read good reviews. Maybe if I'd gone in with no expectation I might have liked it better. No, scratch that. Definitely would not have.

Anyway, reviews are subjective. Just as our each individual reading habits are. (Although I really thought I'd like the book...)

And just because you said I can, I'm going to end with: Fuck.