Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Word for the day: Backup


In a novelistic turn of events, the day I started working, my computer stopped.

And before you ask, no, I had nothing saved. We'll see what the computer monkey can retrieve, but as of now I stand to lose:



89K words on this ghost assignment.

65K words on my next novel.

1 half-finished screenplay.

Photoshop files.

A fistful of short stories, pictures, plus all the other effluvia we save to our hard drives.

In my long life I've learned that clever people learn from their mistakes, smart people learn from others'.

As they say, it only has to happen once.

7 comments:

JD Rhoades said...

Oh, FUCK. And nothing backed up? Hope the monkey can pull it off the HD.

Stephen D. Rogers said...

David,

Good luck!

Stephen

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Oh, man. Crossing my fingers. Hoping you can recover everything.

Daniel Hatadi said...

Holy fuck. There are ways to get files back, though. I once fried a hard drive's electronics, bought an identical model and swapped them out.

Best of luck with it.

For The Trees said...

one gig flash drives - the size of your thumb - are around $80 at WalMart online. I have two. I back up on both, then haul one down to the bank and put it in the safety deposit box. Beginning of the month I back up everything on the one at home, haul it down and swap, bring that one home and back up everything on it. That way I always got two copies saved.

It's a small price to pay. Especially for the Photoshop files...

Unknown said...

Oh my living fuck.

I'm praying for you, David.

Sandra Ruttan said...

Obviously Duane missed the "why are these children trying to kill you" post on prayer.