Thursday, September 07, 2006

A New Star in the Firmament


Well, not so new to the Planeteers, but Jeff Shelby is being discovered by more and more readers, and critics. Today, the fine folks over at First Offenders (The link is over there. Do I have to do everything?) tell us Jeff, already a bestseller in LA, has been nominated for 2006 Colorado book of the year. This raises the following questions:

1. How many Colorado books are there?
2. How does a book set in San Diego, written by a guy who lives in Texas, get nominated for an award in Colorado?
3. Will Jeff have to move back to Colorado if he wins?

I'm rather late in congratulating Jeff on his second book, Wicked Break. I finished it just before the move and it's damn good. I liked Jeff's first book, but this one shows just how much Jeff has grown as a writer. If you haven't picked it up, you should.

In the past year I've had the great pleasure to meet so many fine people who write crime fiction and Jeff is one of the best.

Now, back to work.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

1. If I'm a "nominee", I think its clear that there is only one book in the entire state's inventory - budget cuts and all that.
2. Fake IDs have also gotten me entered in the Mississippi Book of the Year, Canada Book of the Year and The Cook Islands Book of the Year competitions.
3. My wife says if I LOSE I have to move back to Colorado. Tough crowd in this house...

Thanks for all the kind words. Cashier's check is in the mail...