Thursday, October 02, 2008

Kathleen Parker meets her readers.

I mentioned Kathleen Parker earlier. She's the conservative columnist who lost confidence in Sarah Palin and wrote about it, amazing all of us who expect blanket apologias for ignorance and incompetence.

It seems Kathleen's getting mail:

"I am a traitor and an idiot. Also, my mother should have aborted me and left me in a Dumpster, but since she didn't, I should "off" myself.Those are just a few nuggets randomly selected from thousands of e-mails..."

Kathleen seems surprised at the spittle-flecked vitriol. Wow. Perhaps she hasn't read some of the right wing blogs that frequently call their neighbors pro-abortion America-haters who deserve to die. Maybe if she'd paid attention when people on Fox News called the 9/11 widows whores or joked about bombing the New York Times, she wouldn't have been caught unaware.

Remember the Texas bumper stickers when New Englanders couldn't afford heating oil? They said, "Let 'em freeze to death in the dark."

But now Kathleen has had the temerity to voice an opinion that goes counter to the party line. Shocked and dismayed she writes:

That doesn't sound American to me, but Stalin would approve...when we decide that a person is a traitor and should die for having an opinion different than one's own, then we cross into territory that puts all freedoms at risk. (I hear you, Dixie Chicks.)

Better late than never, Kathleen. Welcome to the reality-based community.

No comments: