Thursday, December 14, 2006

It's that time of year.

So here we are, a full year from the time I first started writing the Planet. Unfortunately, this joke is as ruefully true today as it was a century ago.

This has been a great year. I hope you all have had as much fun as I have. But, as Carolina Moon said, nothing lasts forever. I'd felt the quality of my posts slip, so it was time to pack it in. As Stephen suggested, I may just go on hiatus. I don't know. I'll leave the Planet up so that I can come back (I don't know how not to leave it up), maybe after I get this novel well under way.

It's always been a source of wonderment that so many great writers came here regularly to get a laugh. Thank you.

This year, with your encouragement, I finished that ghost novel, I wrote my first screenplay and got back to my WIP, one I think will be good if I could only find the time to write it, which is another reason I'm going dark. A steady job makes the mortgage lenders happy, but it is truly the writer's curse.

After all the political posts I've put up, I find it fitting that Donald Rumsfeld and I are leaving on the same day, although I think I had a better year than he did. I made mistakes, but no one got hurt. OK, except for that hooker in Phoenix, but that was Stephen and Dusty's idea, not mine.

Feel free to drop me an email. You know where I am. And I'll be making silly comments at all my usual haunts.

You might check back here after the New Year, say in February, and I might have something new up. Or maybe not. Hell, if something shiny catches my eye this afternoon, I might have something new up. The point is, I'm not planning to. And that takes an enormous weight off.

Weightless. Yeah, that's me. Weightless.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

My comment is: NNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

I am not a writer, and I seldom contribute, but I want you to know how much I enjoy reading Dark Planet every day. The change to the new look startled me the first time I visited. I thought for a moment that your page had disappeared, and was horrified. I was relieved to find that the changes were purely cosmetic. Now my nightmare has come true.

David and I have a mutual friend who’s daughter was doing her 6th grade science project a couple of weeks ago. I just had to show her the “Benjamin’s Kayak” post. A quick search for “fucking kayak”, and we were both soon howling with laughter. That one is a classic. (And many others as well.)

I know it can be a grind keeping up a website. (Why did I ever put up that freakin’ “MySpace” page. What was I thinking?) I hope that you will continue to post things as the spirit moves you.

See ya’ at the Bayou . . .

Scott Moore

Brett Battles said...

David, you will definitely be missed. I do hope it's only a hiatus, and will be checking back often.

I picked up Beneath a Panamanian Moon a few weeks ago and can't wait to get into it. (Writing book 2 is getting in the way of any pleasure reading at the moment.)

Good luck with the new novel. And come back soon!

Anonymous said...

The hooker in Phoenix just called. She blames you.

Anonymous said...

(I don't know how not to leave it up),

Not what I heard.

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Oh, don't go blaming us.

"A woodchipper's too expensive. They'll trace the credit card." Freakin' coward.

Sorry to hear the Planet's going dark, but I completely understand. Just keep hammering away at the good book.

Anonymous said...

Shit! But I hear ya...a year was about my limit for daily posting too. Now I'm gonna have to read your fucking books already to get my terrenoire fix!

xxoo

Sara Gran

Sandra Ruttan said...

I'm sad, but I understand. I don't even have time to keep up on the blog reading, never mind commenting etc.

I wish from the start I'd been on a group blog. Once a week, nothing more, no pressure to perform daily. I plan to cut back a bit in the new year.

XO Dave.

Anonymous said...

I will greatly miss your political comments and your hilarious Photoshopped pictures (my favorite is still that gun on that kitten). And don't forget to stop over at the First Offenders; perhaps a guest blogging gig now and then??

Sean Chercover said...

Like others said, I understand, but I don't like it. This has been a great blog. Thanks.

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

I actually said, "It's worthless trash that goes on forever. You know the drill... All good things must come to an end." You didn't get a misquote cherry though. The local paper has punched my dance card for years.

Take your compliments where you can get them, and your advances to the bank.

Dread

inkgrrl said...

What you said about mortgage lenders and cursing. If being here gets in the way of writing the book, or the next book, then do what you gotta do. Protect the work.

But your perspective and commentary will be missed. Just putting that out there...