Sunday, December 10, 2006

Planetary News

We all make sacrifices so that we can write. Most of us choose to live in penury, beating our brains against the keyboard, sitting alone at the book signing tables, begging our agents for a hardcover deal, or a multi-book deal, or a paperback deal, all while waiting for that movie deal which might allow us to buy a new used car.

Some of uf give up all hope of full time employment. Some of us live in houses that would make our mothers blanche at the dust and disorder. Some of us work long hours, with little social life or family interaction.

All so we can put out books in a world of fewer and fewer readers.

After thinking about this for a long time, and with a great deal of hesitation because I enjoy this, I'm ending the Planet. This Friday will mark a year's worth of blogging, with more than a post every day, and I feel like it's time. I'm hoping it will free me up to work on the novel. We'll see. When I told Jenny about this, she said "Forever?" and I admitted that forever is a long time and who knows, I might find it impossible to stay away. We'll see.

But I know I won't be posting every day like I have.

So to take us up to the anniversary mark because I am that OCD, I'm going to link to some of my favorite posts from the past year. I went through them and was surprised by how few weren't about me whining about some passing shit in my life and I'm surprised so many of you have stuck with it. So we'll take a stroll through the past 360 days and see what we step in. Here are two of my favorites.

Religious Riot Over Cartoons

and

Why Are These Children Trying To Kill You?

Enjoy.

10 comments:

Christa M. Miller said...

I'm with Duane. I may not have posted many comments, but I always enjoyed reading. Be that as it may, take care of yourself, and good luck!

Stephen Blackmoore said...

'Tis sad to see you go, but I completely understand. I only ask that, instead of killing the planet completely, take a hiatus.

That or you're going to be getting a lot more email from people asking how the book's coming along.

Be well. And don't wake up hungover with a 17-year-old runaway and a gun you don't remember picking up. It tends to get messy. Just sayin'.

Anonymous said...

Best of luck to you...will very much miss the fun here, but you gotta do what you gotta do...

Anonymous said...

Oh, say it ain't so! Your blog is always one of the first I check out each day. Of course you could be like David Montgomery and find that it just lures you back in... We can only hope!

Anonymous said...

Waaaaaaaaahhhhh!

Say it isn't so!

You'll be back; I know you'll be back.

Daniel Hatadi said...

I raise a big bottle of Tasmanian beer in your honour, and in the hopes that this speeds up your next novel. I'll always remember being a Planeteer. *sniff, sniff*

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

It's worthless trash that goes on forever. You know the drill... All good things must come to an end.

You've scorched my sensibilities, tickled my funny bone, stirred my nostalgia, created pictures in my head, firmed my opposition to one of your positions, changed some of my opinions, and at times just caused me to marvel at your skill, and abject obstinance.

You're a writer David; a wordsmith.

You won't need luck, so I will wish you a clear mind.

Dread

JD Rhoades said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Olen Steinhauer said...

Oh man. As someone who didn't come here often enough, but with each visit was reminded why I should be here every day with my fork & knife at the ready, I weep that I'll no longer have a place for my liberal values to grow wild.

But I understand. I've been toying with the same idea myself, and I never kept up the volume and quality that you've consistently done. Perhaps Stephen's idea of a haiatus isn't bad? Like, say that it's on hiatus until you finish the novel, and set a deadline so we know when to return?

Anyway, it's been real. The Planet has always been a bright spot in my virtual life, and I'm proud to have forced you to start the damned thing. Kudos.

Ray Banks said...

As someone who has enjoyed and been bolstered by your blog since its inception, I'm feeling personally betrayed, angry and a little hungry. Very few blogs that are guaranteed to consistently entertain, especially those with an occasional political bent, but yours is one of them. So I'd be annoyed if you stopped. I like to procrastinate at The Dark Planet.

However, also as someone who gave up their blog because he needed to get his arse in gear and write (because how the fuck else are we gonna make it full-time if we don't commit?), I'll understand. A hiatus is the best option, though. Perhaps when the book is done. I don't think there's a person here (barring that Dusty feller) who'd begrudge you that (and only because Dusty loves you, you understand).

Hell, every now and then, a bloke needs to reassess his priorities. Me, I've stopped masturbating quite as much. You'd be surprised the amount of time it's freed up.