Thursday, April 17, 2008

HOA Blues, Part 2.


My fight for Free Speech, the First Amendment and the rights of home owners everywhere has attracted the attention of the media. To be specific, a local columnist for the News and Observer, Jim Wise.

He called me a few days ago and asked about the HOA's letter demanding I remove the political sign in my yard. I told him what happened and yesterday he called the head of our HOA, Vickie Jackson.



When he contacted Ms. Jackson, she assured him that she wasn't operating as the head of our HOA when she taped that letter to my door, no, she was just being a friendly neighbor, a caring neighbor, reminding me of the HOA covenant rules. She was watching out for me. Yeah, that's what it was.

She also told Jim that the covenant rule against signs was in accord with a city ordinance. Both of us are skeptical that such an ordinance exists, but Jim said he would call the City Attorney today to see.



Ms. Jackson has invited me to the next community meeting, yet to be scheduled. I've invited Jim along. I'll keep you posted.

In the meantime, if you'd like to add your thoughts, you can email Jim at JWise at nando.com.

(I put in the "at" to protect Mr. Wise from spammers.)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My neighbor expressed his opinion of the HOA by building his deck three feet beyond the allowed limit. (In other words, he's on the condo association's lawn. Damn hippy kids!) He dared them to make him rip it out.

It's on their to-do list, somewhere after scheduling the first Babblingbrook Estates Family Pool Orgy and Cocaine Sampling Nite.

But then we haven't tested them on the signs.

Yet.

JD Rhoades said...

*makes popcorn*
*pulls up a chair to watch*

Jeff Shelby said...

*asks Dusty to pass the popcorn*

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

Now when we try for utopia on a small scale and form a HOA it fails, but then we vote for those who spew it with every other word, we fully expect that its going to happen. What Sam Clemons said about blushing was just the beginning. There's gotta be a higher power, we're too entertaining for it to all be wasted on space void.

Dread

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

Okay. I let some bad typos loose in there. I've had the flu. Whatever.

Dread

Bryon Quertermous said...

*stumbles in drunk, throws popcorn at Dusty and throws up on Jeff*