Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Packing.

First, let me give credit to http://www.snarbles.com/ for this cartoon. This is our life right now, surrounded by boxes scribbled in cryptic sharpie.

Books. I think they're procreating behind our backs. I have given away four boxes of kid's books, sent ten boxes to Iraq, and even thrown away a few boxes.

I know, the horror, but they were books like the one on the Shroud of Turin my mother-in-law gave us. She thought we would read about this famous soiled sheet, suddenly smack our foreheads and say, "Yes, transubstantiation makes so much sense now!"

Thanks but no thanks. Dust to dust.

And I still have books. Every time I think I've packed them all, I run across another stack. And we haven't ventured into the attic yet. I know there are hundreds of books up there I'll have to sort through. I expect I'll be sending another three or four to Iraq before we move.

Moving day is a week from today. We are not ready.

By the way, if you want to join me in sending books to GIs, let me know and I'll post the address again. You'll be doing a good thing.

4 comments:

JD Rhoades said...

This is why I'm never moving again.

Chris Everheart said...

D.T.: Congrats on crossing the finish line and good luck with the move. Let's hope this is the last one for a while. I'm exhausted just READING about this whole process the last couple months.

Hang in there. And when you get a chance, hang it out there.

Anonymous said...

Great that you send the books down range. I give mine to the base library and they ship them.

Anonymous said...

When you get a second, pls post the address again. What's the typical box size for shipping? I can easily do a box.

Movers hate boxes of books. So we used Xerox boxes -- the mover liked them better. Easier to stack up on a dolly, etc. I hate to tell you how many we had.

After several moves and doing two for my mother (and I am positive her closet contents multiplied at night), I want to be buried in the backyard. I will never move again, LOL. Here's one thing I learned: put the boxes in the general area where they belong. No one ever died bec they weren't unpacked rightthisminute. Also, get the bed set up, kitchen and bathroom reasonably in order and you can worry about everything else later. You need to sleep, shower and get coffee in the morning before work. Everything else gets done when it does.

If you need a beer and pizza runner, let me know.

Jeanne