Thursday, June 14, 2007

Flag Day

I used to fly the flag on all the major patriotic holidays like today and National Beer Day. But then the flag sort of got co-opted by uberpatriots who thought wearing a lapel pin was equivalent to storming Mount Suribachi.

So I stopped.

A few years ago a friend from Europe said he found all the flags flying all over the States a little creepy, and that you never see that sort of flag-flaunting in other countries. Having not been anywhere but Canada in the past 30 years, I wouldn't know.

I'm thinking of buying another flag, though, and flying it on the Fourth and Veteran's Day and all those other patriotic holidays just so the jerks can't steal the flag the way they stole God and Hank Williams.

I'm thinking it might be too late for God.

Before we leave you with a song, I'd like to hear from readers, especially those of you outside the US. When you visit are you surprised by the number of flags flying? And for those of you who do live here, will you fly a flag today? Do you own a flag? What does the flag mean to you?

Talk to me about the Stars & Stripes.

Now, a tune from John Prine. I heard this song the other day and the lyrics are, sadly, as relevant today as they were in 1969.

While digesting Reader's Digest
In the back of a dirty book store,
A plastic flag, with gum on the back,
Fell out on the floor.
Well, I picked it up and I ran outside
Slapped it on my window shield,
And if I could see old Betsy Ross
I'd tell her how good I feel.

Chorus:
But your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.
They're already overcrowded
From your dirty little war.
Now Jesus don't like killin'
No matter what the reason's for,
And your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.

Well, I went to the bank this morning
And the cashier he said to me,
"If you join the Christmas club
We'll give you ten of them flags for free."
Well, I didn't mess around a bit
I took him up on what he said.
And I stuck them stickers all over my car
And one on my wife's forehead.

Repeat Chorus:

Well, I got my window shield so filled
With flags I couldn't see.
So, I ran the car upside a curb
And right into a tree.
By the time they got a doctor down
I was already dead.
And I'll never understand why the man
Standing in the Pearly Gates said...

But your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more
They're already overcrowded
From your dirty little war.
Now Jesus don't like killin'
No matter what the reason's for,
And your flag decal won't get you
Into Heaven any more.

Happy Flag Day, America.

And here's John Prine.

10 comments:

JD Rhoades said...

Thanks for the reminder. I'm wearing my American flag tie to court to day.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I haven't felt good about the American flag since the sixties. I think flying it says I agree with what's going on in this country.
I mean if you drove by my house and saw it flying, what else would you think? But you're right. We should not let it be hi-jacked by the right. But how can we differentiate it.
I also have never seen flags flying in other countries except at the Olympics. American exceptionalism at work again, I guess.

Anonymous said...

My sentiments are similar to Patti's. I live in a neighborhood where nearly everyone is flying a flag and where my views are the exception rather than the rule and flying a flag outside would most likely indicate to them "Aha! He's one of us!"

But my daughter learned about the flag in pre-school this yr and she LOVES the flag like she loves Barbie, so I put it out for today. For her.

I'm also hoping to find a gay couple who might be willing to stand under it, making out, all day, to really mess with everyone here.

David Terrenoire said...

Jeff,

She loves the flag as much as Barbie? That's a lot.

I can't think of a better reason to fly your flag, Jeff, and good luck with the gay couple.

I just hope they're lesbians because want that videotape.

JD Rhoades said...

I'm definitely of the "take back our flag" school. I've actually had people say to me when wearing the flag tie "well, I'm surprised to see YOU wearing that!' I always just look at themn and politely ask "Why?"

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

Hmmm. J.D. that Reminds me of when people noticing my darker complexion, (which comes from Native American ancestry as if its anybody's bidnez), ask me what nationality I am. I always answer, "American! What nationality are you?"...Okay, sometimes I use colorful adjectives with the word nationality.

Dread

Anonymous said...

everybody uses the MAGNETIC stickers now,,, who wants to ruin a paint job???

git with the program HIPPY!!!

Christa M. Miller said...

David, this was a great post. Thanks so much. I grew up hearing about the evil unpatriotic liberals out to ruin the country. You've about blown up that little fairy tale!

I dressed my boys in matching red, white, and blue outfits and took them to the mall (so very American of us! ;)) where the older one played with a bunch of National Guard recruiters (one of whom had horrible burn/graft scars on his head, along with a great smile and a gentle way with my son). And he got a mini flag from a very old retired Marine.

I was sad that as much as I built these men up in my son's eyes, I also don't want him to join as long as I think he'll be used and abused by a bunch of corrupt fat cats.

David Terrenoire said...

christa,

I kow so many guys in uniform and they're good men willing to do a very hard and dangerous job.

I'm torn about service for the same reason you are. It's an honor to serve your country, and I consider it a duty as well.

But I believe they're being used as a rich man's toy and when they're broken the rich man's attention will drift elsewhere.

I have nothing but contempt for the chickenhawks who ducked service when they were young but now want to strut America's might as if they were somehow a part of that warrior tradition of duty and sacrifice.

Bless you and your boys, Christa. I hope that by the time they old enough to enlist, war will be obsolete.

Hey, a guy can dream.

Ray Banks said...

Interesting stuff, Dave.

Speaking from a foreign perspective, think yourselves lucky that your flag hasn't been taken by the friggin' BNP, who, if you're not already aware, are slightly to the left of Goebbels. Of course, the whole idea of a Union Jack is laughable now, anyway...

As for seeing flags flying in the States... We kind of expect it. Personally, I think it's kind of quaint, like seeing an NRA bumper sticker. But then, I have a soft spot for most things American. As my wife will tell you.