Thursday, December 07, 2006

With apologies to Josh.

I don't mean to trespass into the Comics Curmudgeon's territory (and if you're not a regular reader, you're missing out on some great stuff), but I have to say something about today's Family Circus.

How can Daddy Keane tell if the hydrocephalic kid's joke is funny or not? No one in this comic has said anything funny in like, forever. Day after day, the family explores new frontiers in suckdom, plumbing the depths of tortured cuteness, Christian pandering, and recycled jokes that weren't funny the first time they evolved from invertebrate humor sometime in the Pleistocene.

I'm convinced it's all an extended, cruel jape at the expense of Keane's malformed offspring. Dyslexia, ADHD, and retardation are just three of the signs of intellectual dysfunction. Look at Dad, destroying Billy's confidence with a lame spelling gag geared to sap Billy's will to live just as this strip has worked, day by day, to sap mine. I can see Billy growing into a lifetime of sexual degradation and crime, spiraling downward into a pit of self-loathing until he finally appears in LA Noir as just another huge-headed mugshot for Stephen to mock further.

And is it just me, or do the powder blue socks on Daddy Keane's curiously feminine ankles look fey?

Sorry, I just had to push this in front of you. Feel free to take cheap shots at this poorly drawn, badly written, cloyingly sweet POS. In fact, I encourage it.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

He's definitely wearing a blouse.

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

Not since Calvin and Hobbs left do I read the daily. Long live Calvin ball!

Ray Banks said...

The Comics Curmudgeon is fucking brilliant, if only for the continuing potshots at Mary Worth and Apartment 3-G. As for Dilbert, I could never get into it. Gimme Get Fuzzy and Candorville any day.

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Oh, you must read The Dysfunctional Family Circus. FC strips with new captions.

http://dfc.furr.org/

"Mommy, why does my cereal taste like bitter almond?"

"Look! We trained PJ to shit his pants on command!"

"Hey Dad! PJ's doing that Snoopy dance again! I guess this proves Mom's porkin' Charlie Schulz!

"And put some ground glass in Mommy's cereal, I want Daddy all to myself."