Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Connie and Walt. Gettin' busy.


With apologies to the King of Comics Commentary, the Comics Curmudgeon, I have to point out this recent installment from Zits, one of my favorite strips. If you don't know this strip, it's about a 15-year-old kid named Jeremy. He has an older brother named Chad who you see about as frequently as you saw little Richie on the Dick Van Dyke show, but I love that Connie and Walt, his parents, named their kids Chad and Jeremy.


OK, up to speed? The storyline here is, Jeremy's gone off to a friend's place for the weekend. And what do Connie and Walt do? They immediately leap into the sack for a little afternoon bed bounce. Boo-yah.


I only bring this up to do what old men do everywhere: Point out how things have changed since I was a kid.


There was sex in the comics, of course. Ask any male which one they'd rather boink, Betty or Veronica, and they'll tell you without thinking. Because they've already thought about it. A lot. They'll also tell you that Judy Jetson was hot, and Betty Rubble was a stone-age babe.


(Women don't do this, I don't know why, and when they find out we do they look at us funny.)


But back to the point. We never saw Blondie and Dagwood in post-coital bliss. Hell, they still sleep in separate beds. Donald Duck doesn't wear pants, for God's sake, but there's never been a hint of Donald and Daisy doing the nasty. And I don't even want to think about Popeye and Olive Oyl naked.


But Connie and Walt? Yeah. I like that. Progress has been made.


As always, I invite your thoughts on this weighty subject of the day.


9 comments:

Jim Winter said...

"And I don't even want to think about Popeye and Olive Oyl naked."

AAAAHHHH!!!! That's a mental image I did not need right after lunch!

OTOH, there was a comedian a few years back who whipped out an acoustic guitar, started singing "Midnight at the Oasis" as his intro in what he thought Popeye and Olive were doing in Vegas.

My guess is Bluto was secretly gay for Popeye.

Which, if you're gay, probably has you pondering celibacy now. Hell, Olive Oyle's enough to make me give up sex.

Anonymous said...

Monster fan of the comic Zits. I've always liked the fact that it showed a real family life-parents who kissed and grossed their kid out like mine did. I knew what my parents did on those weekends away, I just tried not to think about it.

Why would decide which cartoon character you'd 'boink'? I don't get that, but then, I'm a female.

David Terrenoire said...

norby,

See, that's what I'm talking about. When I told my wife about this, as far as I can tell universal male thing, she looked at me like I was insane. I know that look. I get that look a lot.

JD Rhoades said...

I get that look a lot, too, David. And when it comes to cartoon babes, Lil' Abner's Daisy Mae tops 'em all. She was the proto-Daisy Duke.

David Terrenoire said...

Dusty,

Stupifin' Jones, the girl so gorgeous that men saw her and were speechless. And Moonbean McSwine, although portrayed as a bit aromatic, was also a cartoon babe I lusted after in my youth.

Al Capp knew how to draw men's fantasy babes.

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Al Capp also came up with the Kigmes, which are just fucking wrong. Sometimes social commentary takes a wrong turn somewhere.

Having grown up in the Age of Star Wars, I was more into which Princess Leia I'd do. Invariably it always came down to Slave Girl Leia, of course. Or that British chick from Logan's Run. At least you got to see her tits. And of course, there was always the question of Ginger or Mary-Anne, or if you had a particular fetish, Mrs. Howell.

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

Hello? Mama can't talk to you right now. She's upstairs with Dada taking a quick nap.

You really didn't think everyone was so crazy about Roger Rabbit did you?

Dread

Sue Ann Jaffarian said...

LOVE your blog, and to show my affection I have blogged about you today and added you to my links.

Anonymous said...

You are all so, so odd. I can only shake my head in wonder.