Tuesday, May 15, 2007

I don't ask much from the comics...


...but, sweet Jesus, these make me want to eat my gun.

I expect Garfield to gorge himself on lasagna, but not go tits up from a damn coronary.

I expect Dagwood to get his ass kicked by Mr. Dithers, but not get laid off and turn to drink.



And Cathy can worry about her weight, but I don't want to see her struggle with bulimia.



What the hell is going on here?

Funky Winkerbean is dragging us through chemo again, For Better or For Worse is wallowing in the indignity of a stroke, and now Ted Forth is unemployed.

Look, if I want to read a downer I'll read Mary Goddamn Worth. What's next? Shoe gets beak cancer from cigars? Hagar gets captured by the English and hanged from a gibbet? Dilbert gets gunned down when Asok goes postal?

Honest, I can get depressed by reading the rest of the paper. So why do the funnies have to be so fucking unfunny.

I can't stand it.

And don't get me started on that suckfest Family Circus.

/rant

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Get Fuzzy. Have you tried Get Fuzzy? Because Get Fuzzy freakin' rules.

David Terrenoire said...

Yes, Get Fuzzy is a fave at the Terrenoire household.

It almost balances out the bleakness of Funky Winkerbean, but not quite.

Jim Winter said...

"Dilbert gets gunned down when Asok goes postal?"

That might actually be funny if Wally was the only one to survive. Naturally because he's in the bathroom having coffee and reading the paper.

I mean they already killed off the Pointy Haired Boss once.

Interesting aside, Funky Winkerbean's creator was a substitute teacher at my school when I was in junior high.

Back when my hair was longer, my stamina greater, and my taste in music more questionable.

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

A point of view I can only agree with. They're called comics and funnies. If they're not comical or funny, shouldn't they be someplace else? But then, they appear in a "NEWSpaper".

Dread

David Terrenoire said...

But then, they appear in a "NEWSpaper".

Dread,

That made me laugh. Thank you.