Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't slow down and look around, you might miss it.



That line is from Ferris Bueller, of course, and is the topic for today. The sentiment, not the movie, although that's pretty good, too.

Regular readers know that things have been a little rough at the Home Planet lately, so when I had a chance to play music all night Saturday, I jumped at it. I've been told I had a great time.



I play music with friends. That's what I do when I want to forget all the crap of the day - the deadlines, the family drama, the work-related mindfuck, the guy in the SUV on the cell phone who believes his mind is so powerful that all he has to do is telepathically signal that he's changing lanes and you'll get out of his way.


If I can't play music, I like to nap and nothing beats an old movie on a rainy Saturday afternoon.

But I wonder what you do. Do you fish, go dancing, shoplift things you don't need, work in your marijuana garden, pose your Hummell figurines in suggestive tableaux, or go hunting for the best clam chowder in the Northeast? (Hint: It's in Gloucester.)


That's right. There's no sturm und drang today. No political cheap shots. I'm giving it all a rest. Yeah, I'm still at work, but my head is somewhere else entirely.

So tell me, if you could do anything today, anything at all, what would that be?

Talk to me.











As usual with writer-type stuff, I've cross-posted this to Crimespace.

9 comments:

Ray Banks said...

Nap and write. And read. And watch that boxset of THE SHIELD I've been meaning to watch. And read some more. Eat shortbread. Get fat, lazy and housebound.

Phoebe Fay said...

Make love all afternoon, then make chocolate chip cookies, then curl up on the couch and watch sweet old movies all evening long. That would be about perfect.

Anonymous said...

I would go to the ocean with my brother and talk with him about all the fun we've had over our 57 year association ~ on and off the beach ~ and tell him how much I love him. And since that's not possible right now I think I'll make a phone call and tell him the same thing. Thanks for the reality check, David.

Janine

Anonymous said...

If I could be anywhere/do anything it would be a day at the beach. Running on the sand barefoot, listening to the surf, playing in the water, vegging on the sand, and just being healthy.

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

I'd loose the 20 extra pounds that I've put on this year, resign my job with a two word email ("I'm gone!"), buy that beach house I always wanted and call the movers.

Anonymous said...

On my days off (and there were many)I used to get up early, get a 12pack and drive around back roads aimlessly until I didn't know where I was anymore, thrn find a familiar road and get home without running into a cop. Whenever I get a day off now I get up early, drink a pot of coffee and listen to music and try to paint, or think of ideas for paintings.

Anonymous said...

A little scurvy therapy could soothe my spirits.

Anonymous said...

Rainy day: read.

Nice day: play golf.

As needed: work on my roadster.

Graham Powell said...

A good day is finding a couple of out-of-print books by favorite authors at the used book store, buying them for a buck each, and reading 'til late. Then sleeping late the next day.