Wednesday, April 19, 2006

You want to support the troops? Send them your books.


I was a kid, uneducated, bored, removed from everything anyone would consider a normal life, and I was desperate for things to read. Thoughtful friends sent me books. They sent Richard Brautigan and John Barth, Steinbeck and Fitzgerald, Oscar Wilde and Chekov, Shakespeare and Vonnegut, Joseph Heller and Joseph Conrad. I still have that collection of Conrad in my library, thank you Miss O'Donnell.

I can't tell you how grateful I am, 35 years later, to those who took the time and effort to send those books.

Now it's our turn. Jennifer Jordan posted this over at her place and I want to pass it along, just in case you missed it. I don't care what your politics are. I don't care what you send. Just send something. These guys will appreciate books more than you will ever know.

Do it now, and pass this along to your friends. I'm putting together a box today and I urge you to do the same.

21st TSC, Medical Transient Detachment
ATTN: Soldiers' Angels,
Mary Ann Phillips
UNIT 23203
APO AE 09263

No comments: