Wednesday, August 08, 2007

It's Back! Run! Run for Your Life!


It's the Return of the Son of the Really Bad Movie, Part IV.



Yes, the screenplay is back. Last night I met with one of the producers and he's getting feedback on the script. Seems there are some problems. But before we get to what's wrong, let's take a look at how we got here.

This screenplay was born out of a strong desire to make a buck. The guy with the start-up money is an orthodontist who self-published a novel he wanted to see turned into a film.

I read the novel and met with the producers.

CUE Wayback SFX. FADE UP on earlier meeting.


DAVID
There is nothing for the protagonist to do.

PRODUCERS
Make something up.

DAVID
But this isn't the good guy's story.
It's the bad guy's story.

PRODUCERS
We have to keep the good guy.

DAVID
But there's nothing for him to do.
It would be better to dump the good guy
and write the bad guy's story.

PRODUCERS
The orthodontist sees himself as the
good guy character and he's writing the checks.


FADE UP on present day angst.

VO: That was almost a year ago. I built the good guy into a love triangle with the bad guy's wife and it worked better than anyone expected. I still struggled to give the good guy something to do besides pine hopelessly for his lost love in the first two acts, but in the third he sprang into action and saved the day.

Now the feedback from distributors and possible directors is coming in and guess what? They want to dump the good guy because it's really the bad guy's story.

There's little money left for a rewrite. I could get points, but really, what's the point? And to fix this script I would have to dump 30 pages of the screenplay and come up with an entirely new subplot.

And I would have to stop working on my book. That would mean another long delay in a ms that is already 12 months behind schedule. That's not good.

So, I'm asking for advice. Do I squeeze a few extra bucks out of this turkey and write what might actually become a decent script? Or do I punt this thing into the cheap seats and move on with the work that is closer to my heart than my wallet.

I promised the producers I'd think about this.

Your advice?

14 comments:

Jim Winter said...

Punt.

Hell, if they want someone cheap, I'll do it. Might actually turn a profit this year. =)

(Half kidding. Wouldn't say no to the money, but... Ew!)

Anonymous said...

I am not a writer so I have no useful advice. There does seem to be a crying need for this story. I cannot remember the last time I saw a story with an orthodontist protagonist. Maybe you could change him to a proctologist and pad the ms with crude and tasteless jokes.

Anonymous said...

Punt.

You'll be pissed off the entire time that you're rewriting it when you could be spending time on the novel.

Always, always go with closer to the heart.

Anonymous said...

Seems as if everyone agrees it's the bad guy's story. Let it go.
Maybe some bad guy can write it.
You're not him. -SDA

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

I give very bad financial advice, however I'm being faced with a similar delima. To fire an architect or shoot the contractor. I'm meeting the contractor at 7:00 am. Actually, I'm considering shooting them both. But that's not quiet like your situation is it? Oh, well. I tried.

Dread

Karen Olson said...

I have no idea what I'd do. But I do know what Lori Armstrong would do. She'd do both, the script and the novel. Because she's Wonder Woman and always has at least two books going at once. I want to be her when I grow up.

This didn't really answer your question, did it?

David Terrenoire said...

Karen,

Thanks, but I don't think my wife would appreciate the operation I'd need to morph into Lori.

And Morph Into Lori would make a kickass band name.

Stuart MacBride said...

Be a good trick if you could do it...

I suppose it comes down to whether or not you think this film is ever going to get made. If not the points are worthless, right?

And if you hate it this much, why bother? Do you need extra grief in your life?

Oh, it's fun giving advice to people thousands of miles away who can't then tun up on your doorstop and punch you on the nose when it all goes tits-up.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Do what you like to do most and let your husband support you. It works for me.

JD Rhoades said...

Ask for a boatload more money, what we in the legal biz call a "go away" fee. If they come up with it, it was meant to be.

And yes, Lori rules.

JD Rhoades said...

Damn. The image of David Terrenoire morphing into Lori Armstrong just registered on my consciousness.

Excuse me, I have to go gouge out my brain.

Unknown said...

Damn! (sorry for borrowing a word from you, Dusty!) but,David, ever since you enthralled me with this story in Phoenix I've been waiting with baited breath and nape of neck for an invitation to the premiere !

Aaagh! Such a disappointment...I'm heading for the bar ...

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

I met the contractor and called the architect. I asked them both the same question. Do you want to walk away from this check? They're both still working the job, but now, doing it my way. I didn't have to shoot either. (shucks!)

So at the end of the day, you have to ask yourself, which do you need the most at the moment; the art or the money? Then move on with no regrets, and no apologies due. Hold your head up and do what you do. How's the saying go? Something like, "If you can't do what you love, then love what you do."?

Anyway, good luck with the cross dressing if you decide to go that route.

Dread

Anonymous said...

I'd ask for a crapload of money and make them earn the rewrite. If they don't pony up, keep the screenplay for yourself, seeing as it's not based on the book anymore anyway...

Just my two cents. What do I know...

Scott