Thursday, August 16, 2007

Less Talk, More Music

Or as Mr. Banks puts it, this is what I've got in my lugholes. More on that in a minute.

But first, last January I made a resolution. Now, I'm not one for making resolutions because I have enough failure in my life already without adding to February's list. But this resolution has stuck, kinda, mostly because I made it elastic enough to get stretchy. It was to listen to a lot less political blather and a lot more music. A healthy change for the better, don't you think?

It helps that I have a 6-CD changer in the car so I load it up on Sunday and listen all week long. Here's what's got me cruising through rush hour this week.


Bill Evans. It was his playing I heard in my head when John Harper played piano in Beneath A Panamanian Moon. Evans once said, "It's not the notes you play, it's the notes you don't play."

Al Sunshine Guthrie (I think it was Al) advised writers to "get in late and leave early." I think he was talking about scenes, but it could be excellent dating advice, as well.



Steve Earle. Great American music. This essential CD has The Devil's Right Hand, a great song that also gave Dusty Rhoades the title to his first novel. Thanks for both.

Squirrel Nut Zippers. This is a nostalgic favorite. Hot is what put the Zippers on the map with its hit "Hell." The Zippers are local, from Chapel Hill, and they've recently reformed after years of legal, well, Hell. Listening to Katherine Whalen's voice again is a treat and how can a band with baritone sax solos go wrong?



Almost Famous. Talk about nostalgia. Great movie. Great soundtrack.


American Splendor. Another great soundtrack to another great movie, this one starring Dave White. "Chasing Rainbows" by R. Crumb and the Cheap Suit Serenaders. "Ain't That Peculiar" by Chocolate Genius. Great stuff.



Southern Culture on the Skids. Another local favorite. Recently, someone over at Daniel Hatadi's Crimespace started a forum thread on noir music. I think they meant tracks like Harlem Nocturne, but SCOTS could easily pass. With tracks like Shotgun and Carve That Possum, SCOTS is hip deep in redneck noir. But if they could be known around the world for just one song, I would vote for Banana Puddin.' Some of the time they're singing about a classic southern dessert. Other times, well, I think they could be singing about something else. Ain't that a slippery groove, indeed.

So that's what's bouncing around my cranium this week. What's in yours?

Talk to me.

8 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

Love Waltz for Debbie.
I'm trying to catch up with the music of Ry Cooder right now. I've missed a lot of good stuff in that sort of music.

David Terrenoire said...

I love Ry Cooder (and we share a birthday). His first few albums introduced me to a lot of people like John Hurt and Joseph Spence that I might not have heard until decades later.

I think he's a national treasure and, of course, our government is fining him for going to Cuba for the Buena Vista Social Club project. The Philistines.

JD Rhoades said...

As I noted on another blog, Cooder's first album is the disc I'd probably take to a desert island. It's got everything: soul, humor, tasty guitar work...

David, your post was an inspiration. I think one of the reasons I've been feeling a bit restless and out of sorts may be because I haven't been listening to enough music lately. You wouldn't think it was the type of thing that you could get out of the habit of doing, but there you are.

So right now I've got Solomon Burkes' "Nashville" streaming on Rhapsody, with The Blind Boys of Alabama's "Spirit of the Century" up next.

David Terrenoire said...

Dusty,

The news is ephemera. Music is everlasting.

It's a lesson I have to keep learning, over and over.

But that's some tasty shit you got going, my man.

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

Odd man out again... I've been doing some classic MoTown for the last couple of weeks. I get on these binges every couple of years and Jackie Wilson, Wilson Picket, Martha Reeves, The Showmen, Four Tops, Supremes, Temptations, Percy Sledge, and on and on, exhaustively, put a spring in my step on these 100+ degree days, with humidity levels that break interstate speed limits.

At work on Fridays, after 4 pm, I crank up the Creative Soundworks 4 way system on the old Goatway puter, and Cream, Iron Butterfly, Led Zep, Deep Purple, Hendrix, and denizens of the heavy metal era, scare the bejesus out of the young folks. They think the old man has lost it. They're sorta close. I'm not loosing it, just finding it again. Yeah!

Dread

Anonymous said...

I've been listening to my Jeff Daniels CDs-great actor, great songwriter. Little bit of comedy, little bit of heartbreak, little bit of blues-he has two albums that he sells to raise money for his theater in Chelsea, MI and both are fantastic.

Anonymous said...

Nirvana's Nevermind. It's like a massage for my frontal lobe.

pattinase (abbott) said...

Saw Jeff Daniels perform live as MC at the AA Folk Festival year and he was amazing. That guy can do anything, and he's nice and generous to boot.