Monday, January 09, 2006

Name That Ax Murderer


Writers have to come up with more names than a fertile Mormon. Sarah Weinman even found an uncomfortable confluence of main character names in two different novels. That's gotta hurt.

This fall I gave the dubious privilege of having a forties-era hooker or pickpocket named after anyone who donated $100 to save my favorite bar. That's right, some people support charities. I supported a bar. I have my priorities.

How do you name your characters? Phone book? Ex-husband?

2 comments:

Stuart MacBride said...

Phone book, maps and a big book of baby names. And then I have to sit and think real hard if I've just come up with the name of someone I know or have worked with.

Which happens more often than you'd think.

And I'm here because of the 'Wet Cardboard' comment. Not often one gets a good laugh on Rickards's blog.

David Terrenoire said...

Always happy to oblige, stuart.