Thursday, September 20, 2007

Couples.


Today is Jeff Shelby's 8th anniversary. What is the 8th? Jello?

I don't know what amazes me more, that Jeff found a woman who agreed to share her life with him, or that any couple finds a way to stay together through the stresses of kids, mortgages, lost jobs, ill health, in-laws, sleeping habits, sex, incontinent dogs, odd hobbies, televised sports, and the unrealistic expectations of women everywhere. But I'm happy that at least half the time, it works.


I'm going to be best man at a wedding this weekend. I have no idea what is expected of a best man. Maybe I should look that up before Sunday.

My old friend, Jerry (regular readers will know him as Secret Dead Artist), is marrying Heather on the Outer Banks, which will be very cool. That Heather is younger, better-looking, smarter and taller than Jerry has all of us shaking our heads in wonder at Jerry's good fortune.

Mazel Tov.



Last April, Jenny and I celebrated 27 years together, a phenomenol thing if you consider that Jenny could have, to quote Mark Twain, laid a trap in the night and caught twelve more able men. It's been great, but it hasn't been easy. They say nothing worthwhile is, but I find drinking more than worthwhile, and surprisingly easy.



In that spirit, I raise my glass to all the happy couples out there. If you're lucky enough to be one of them, take the time to tell your patient SO that your life would not be half as rich, full or wonderfully complicated without her (or him).

We all think we'll have another day, but we all know there's no guarantee, don't we.

Here's to marriage. And here's to the daily miracles that make it possible.

Happy Anniversary, Jeff.

And to Jerry, bon voyage. It's a trip I highly recommend.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats to your friend Jerry-I'm sure you'll be a fine best man. If memory serves the biggest job our best man had was keeping my husband from getting so distracted that he got to the church late.

Hubby cleaned the best man's kitchen before coming to the church he was so nervous-I understand it took both the best man and his wife to get my husband moving in the right direction.

Anyway-you'll do fine I'm sure.

Cornelia Read said...

The 8th is Jell-O. The 9th is Jell-O with mini marshmallows. I say this with authority because Tuesday was my 19th, which is Jell-O with mini marshmallows AND fruit cocktail.

Anonymous said...

I more or less know what to expect of you by this time buddy. What you're supposed to do, and what you'll end up doing are no doubt going to be very different things. It's the beach. I really can't say it any better. Repeat. It's the beach.
It's going to be a blast.
Stop backing over yourself.
Don't tell too many stories about me.
Most of all...
Have a good time.
Now I have to get back to burning cd's, dvd's,charging: flashlights, cellphones, cameras, toys, searching for:phone numbers, my shopping list, shoes, creating party playlists for the iPod...
abd taking a couple pictures of this friggin' painting that woke me up at 4AM and demanded that it be more ethereal.
-SDA.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe you were able to get a picture of our wedding day. (2nd from the top.)

Thank you sir:)

Stacey Cochran said...

What I can't believe is that you actually know Jeff Shelby's wedding anniversary.

I mean no offense to Jeff, but who knows information like that?

You guys have a history the public ain't privy to?