Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Trick or Treat

I like Halloween. I like the kids coming to the door in costume, I like the women dressed up like slutty witches, I like the scary movies on TV, I like those rubber masks with eyeballs hanging out that are a true traffic hazard because no one can see through those things, and I like the leftover Mars Bars.

I used to do the costume thing myself, back in the day, but I'm old now and have passed the torch. About all I'm up for now is something along the lines of the costume that guy in the picture threw together. I saw this and immediately wondered if he bought a new plunger. And doesn't the guy look a lot like Zippy the Pinhead? Did he spend a lot of time thinking of this or was it a spur of the moment thing? Did someone else think of it for him? Did he have hair on October 30th, because that would really be committing to a costume and quite admirable.

I once went to a party as the front page of the Weekly World News. The worst? A zombie. I am not good with makeup. I know that now.

How about you? Favorite costume? Biggest embarrassment? Nightmare stories about capes and open flames?

Extra points for pictures.

Song for the Day? I Put A Spell On You by Screamin' Jay Hawkins.

Happy Halloween, Planeteers.

3 comments:

Olen Steinhauer said...

One of the few costumes I ever did, which was probably both my best and worst, was "blue". I simply wore blue clothes and painted my skin blue with some weird oily skin-paint. Everyone kept saying, "What are you, a smurf?" No, I'm blue. "Blue, like sad? Like, the sky?" No, just blue. "But what does it mean?" Nothing. It just means blue. Blue is blue and that's all it is.

Man, those people annoyed me. The night got better once I reached a midnight showing of Night of the Living Dead at the campus theater, but people still kept interrupting with their questions while I was trying to watch the flick.

Brett Battles said...

After the fall of the U.S.S.R., I wents as a Soviet flag (red sweatsuit, red makeup on face and hair, yellow hammer and sickle made of cardboard attached to my chest.) On the star, I had a sign that said "Flag For Hire." I thought it was a great costume, but a lot of people didn't get it.

Idiots...

Anonymous said...

1982. I went as a Rubik's Cube. Took a big box, cut arm and head holes into it, then painted. Then painted my face.

The chicks totally dug it.