Monday, October 02, 2006

The award for the Best Bouchercon Coverage goes to...


First, let me say how much I appreciated everyone's reports from Madison. I could not be there myself (something about the State of Wisconsin taking out a restraining order. I didn't know a state could do that, did you?) but I did follow the news pretty closely.

Why?

Because I care.

I celebrated with the winners of the Anthony and the Shamus, shared in the disappointment of those who didn't win and tried to drink more here at home, just to keep spiritually in concert with my colleagues out in Madison.

But still, it was the words of those who took the time to report back that kept me in touch with the events in Wisconsin, without having to be, you know, touched, liked that night in Phoenix out on the croquet court.

Pat, you know what I'm talking about and I promise to never bring it up again except in therapy.

But I digress.

Here, without further embarrassing disclosures, is the winner of the coveted Dark Planet Award for Best Bouchercon Coverage.

(drum roll, please.)

It's a tie!

A toss-up between Swierczynski's daily Adventures of Sunshine and Duane and this, Bill Crider's video reports featuring big name writer types, all incredibly amusing, including a shopping trip by a pair of writers named Sunshine and Duane.

Congratulations, Bill and Duane. Nice work.

11 comments:

Stacey Cochran said...

Hey, David, you were missed this year. There's a bunch of photos and a couple video clips up at staceycochran.com

Everyone was already talking about ThrillerFest in New York next summer.

We missed you, David!

Stacey

Sandra Ruttan said...

Well (sniff) I'd like to (sniff) congratulate the (sniff) winners.

Even if it means I'm a big LOSER!

You just wait until I post my video of Al and Duane. Then you'll recant! You'll wish you hadn't jumped the gun then, because nothing will top seeing Duane cry after snorting beer up his nose.

Hi Stacey! Hi Bryon!

Stacey Cochran said...

Hey Sandra,

Next conference we're at together, we've got to have dinner together. Deal?

It was great meeting you.

Stacey

Unknown said...

Aw, thanks David. There's a final installment on the way about our trip home, which was a ballbuster. (For Sunshine, I mean that literally.)

Sandra: I know where you live. (Or I can find out.)

David Terrenoire said...

Sandra,

That video would demand its own category. Fear not.

Duane,

you earned that fabulous, if fictional trophy that, if it were real, would be wending its way northward.

But it's not so it isn't.

Still, the honor remains.

Anonymous said...

I missed you so much, I insisted to everyone that we refer to the whole weekend as TerrenoireCon. I'm not sure if it caught on.

David Terrenoire said...

Jeff,

It's early yet.

David Terrenoire said...

Ah, Tasha, you bring a glow to this old man's heart.

Elizabeth Krecker said...

David, wish we both could have been there! Can't wait until New York next summer!

Sandra Ruttan said...

Stacey - dinner, for sure!

David, I missed you. I wish you could have been there!

Duane, bring it on, baby!

John Rickards said...

First they share Bouchercon, long walks in the rain, sunset views over the lake, and now they share this. I do believe Duane and Al are the King & Queen of BCon!