Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Happy Birthday, Baby

Jenny has stopped greeting birthdays with anything close to what you'd call a celebratory spirit.

But not me. Jenny's birthday is reason to jump up and dance, and I would if I wasn't afraid of breaking a hip.

Jenny and I met doing summer theater. I remember the first time I saw her, she was on stage rehearsing a Gershwin number. She had that long aristocratic neck, a voice that could seduce the rubes in the cheap seats, an understanding of the lyric that told you this was a woman of sophistication, wit and intelligence.

She was a star.

I was a bit character player, consigned to comic walk-ons.

And as I watched her from the back row of the theater, I knew she was the woman I would marry.

In a moment of strength, I asked her.
In a moment of weakness, she said yes.

Life has not been easy. I don't think anyone's life is. But through it all, she's been the person I could count on not to run when things got rough. That's why I dedicated Panamanian Moon to her this way:


To Jenny,
who is good when times are good,
and when times are bad,
she's even better.
Tonight we'll have an expensive dinner and come home early. It's a school night and we both have to work, but in my heart I'm taking her to Greece for a week in the islands.
Some day, she says, some day.
And some days I honestly think she believes it.
I am the luckiest man in the world.

14 comments:

JD Rhoades said...

Happy Birthday, Jenny!

Chris Everheart said...

Felicitas a Jenny!

(She's awfully good-looking, T. Are you sure there wasn't a mix-up down at the wife shop?)

Enjoy your dinner and your trip to Greece!

Anonymous said...

Life's a grand adventure ~ you're very lucky to have someone like Jenny to share the journey with, bumps and all!

A toast to Jenny!

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Happy birthday, Jenny! I don't know how you manage to keep David in line, but more power to you.

And David, how did you manage to score such a hot babe? Dude, I've seen you drunk and sober, and you don't look any better after the 4th scotch.

Well, however you did it, congratulations. Anybody who can spend her life with you and not stick a knife in your chest (or maybe just miss vital organs) is a keeper.

Anonymous said...

I don't need no stinkin' birthday card -- this takes the cake. You are so deluded, Sweetie, but I love that about you.

Anonymous said...

Woops, I meant to thank everyone for all the birthday wishes. Now let's all move along, and pretend this never happened.

Anonymous said...

I wish you the happiest of birthdays Jenny!

Mindy Tarquini said...

Awwww...Happy Birthday, Jenny.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Jenny!!!!

JD Rhoades said...

She's even cuter in person.

Terrenoire, have I mentioned lately that you're playing way above your league?

Anonymous said...

Happy birthday, Jenny!

Elizabeth Krecker said...

David, you're so lucky! And she's funny, too!

Happy Birthday, Jenny!

David Terrenoire said...

Jenny was quite touched by everyone's good wishes. Thank you, guys.

And yes, to all of you who suggested I married "way above my league," I would be the first to admit that I am indeed a very lucky man.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! This is late as I was celebrating my birthday on the 1st at the Blue Bayou where Dave and others bought me drinks. My parents attended and were very impressed with how friendly the town, bar, and musicians are. I got to play my guitar loud enough to shake the earth! Anyway, 8/1 is a great day to have a birthday and just to be alive! I am happy to share that birthday with you.