Monday, July 31, 2006

Is there anyone driving this bus?

There's a really chilling piece on what's up in the Mideast over at Salon. You have to watch a commercial to read it, but it's not too painful.

In the piece, Scott Rosenberg speculates as to what, really, is the administration's foreign policy over there and suggests this as a fourth option:

"(4) There is no one at the wheel. "Let it play out" might be a calculated stance, but it could also be the pure deer-in-the-headlights paralysis of a White House that is so far out of its depth it cannot muster any sort of coherent response to a crisis. In other words, there might not be method to this madness; in the immortal words of Martin Sheen's Willard in "Apocalypse Now," 'I don't see any method at all.'"

I don't know about you, but my sinking-gut feeling is that this last scenario is the most likely."

It's worth a read, but for me that last one recalls those seven eternal minutes W spent reading My Pet Goat in the Florida classroom.

Deer in the headlights, indeed.

4 comments:

JD Rhoades said...

Well, I'm damned if I know what to do about it either.

OTOH, to paraphrase David St. Hubbins of Spinal Tap, it's not his job to be as confused as me.

David Terrenoire said...

Amen to that, Dusty.

I don't have any idea what to do, except whatever the Bushies do, do the opposite. I've never seen a group of supposedly smart people be so wrong so often.

It must be some kind of record.

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Sadly, I think it's been like this for a very long time.

Though the nation split along fundamentally different philosophical lines in the last election, I think the one area that most people overlap on is "Our people should not be dying".

Unforunately, that's the one thing that I think is going to change our direction in the Middle East, when enouh Americans get killed that we vote this asshat out of the office. Because a Republican controlled house and senate are not going to impeach him.

Anonymous said...

What scares me is that the state of the world is so edg-y and this Mad Hatter shows up to run the show - imagine our future if this continues.