Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Stop! Stop! You're Killing Me!

I click over to Salon during lunch and see an article headlined "Obama is Average," followed by this description:

In an interview, a leading voice of America's conservative intellectuals discusses Barack Obama's failures.

And the guy Salon's editors are describing as "a leading voice of America's conservative intellectuals" is...

CHARLES KRAUTHAMMER!

God damn, I nearly fell out of my chair. Charles Krauthammer. Really. The crazy psychiatrist turned crazier neocon. Salon considers him an intellectual.

Jesus, guys, have you read his column?

Charles Fucking Krauthammer. Intellectual.

Thanks. I needed a good laugh.

4 comments:

Charlieopera said...

Just curious, Dave. Who would you consider to be "a leading voice of America's conservative intellectuals"?

David Terrenoire said...

That's a good question, Charlie. The intellectual heavyweights of the conservative movement are all dead, it seems. I'm talking about Buckley, Friedman, Kirkpatrick, the elder Kristol, Hayek, etc.

The conservative movement seems to have played itself out. I don't quite know why.

Their leaders have devolved into anti-intellectuals like Limbaugh, Palin and Beck.

It's a shame, really. I used to love the way Buckley challenged me to think and consider why I held the views I did. Now all it takes is relative sanity.

Charlieopera said...

I went through a Buckley phase a few years back (and he actually wrote some good books). His son sure is a talented writer (and very interesting). Still, there are certain things Buckley espoused that split my spine (with pain).

And on the left?

Gerry said...

The comments you commentators made are intellectual and reasonable. I just don't get all the childish name calling going on with David T. Let's behave like intellectuals, not children who, due to their immaturity, are less articulate and therefore must resort to name calling in order to express themselves. Mind you, I'm not talking about the occasional frustrated "damn," or, "shit.". I'm talking about silly name calling like, "crazy, neocon," and, "fucker". It just makes us all look bad and does nothing for the cause.