Thursday, October 22, 2009

Why I'm a Nazi.

That's right. I've taken the big goose step. I've become a Nazi.

A fish-Nazi.

My new diet relies on my eating more fish. So I want to do the right thing by our delicious little sea critters and eat only those fish who are happily procreating enough to be sustainable.

So, I went to Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch to learn which fish I should eat and which I shouldn't.

Apparently, Chilean Sea Bass and Swordfish are too delicious for their own good.

Armed with this knowledge, I now know to ask my local fish vendor questions like where the fish is from, how it was caught and did it leave behind any children in salty, tearful mourning?

And what do I do with this new information? Like any reformed sinner, I become a scold. This morning I looked for fish recipes and found a site that not only encourages people to eat swordfish, but actually insults the fish by calling it "snappy."

I left a comment. I asked if they would soon be posting recipes for baby seal. I told them to hang their nets in shame. I told their readers not to buy swordfish.

So I can't deny it. I've become a Nazi. A fish Nazi.

I encourage you to do the same.

7 comments:

The Nephew said...

Small world...At the Monterey Bay Aquarium, there's an interactive exhibit called "Real Cost Cafe" that we shot. It is a great way for people to "order" their favorite seafood and see if it's a good choice or not.

To help you at the grocery store, download the iPhone App. for Seafood Watch recommendations.

Joe S. said...

Dave, regarding the diet/lifestyle: You are aware that deep frying the fish in batter kind of defeats the purpose, right?

David Terrenoire said...

Damn.

Anonymous said...

I'm doing my part. I only eat tuna-free dolphin.

Dave Zeltserman said...

there's not a lot of fish you can eat anymore which isn't contaminated with toxins, mercury, and all these other nasty chemicals we've been dumping into the ocean. There's always wild salmon from Alaska which has been left mostly uncontaminated, but generally if you're eating fish for your health, good luck!

David Terrenoire said...

Much of what you can eat is farm-raised, Dave. But yes, it's hard to find a variety of healthy fish.

The Monterey Bay site lets you know when there's a health advisory. Check it out.

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

Just eat the bottom dwellers, like catfish. It's easy to imagine that they're the politicians of the fish world, and devour them without so much as a twinge of guilt.

Dread