Thursday, July 06, 2006

There are times I'm a gigantic ass.

You know, sometimes you write things that are a bit premature. For those who don't read the comments, Larry Gandle sent me a very gracious email and this is what I sent back to him:

Larry,

Hey, I've been there. You say something that's misinterpreted and then wonder what the hell you did to enjoy such invective. Please accept my apologies. I usually see the best in people, and, well, my best was out wandering in the desert. You are very gracious to respond with the olive branch. I'm humbled and grateful.

We'll start over. If I can ever get this second novel out (and that's not a given), and we are at the same place at the same time, let's take some time to have a drink together. Elaine Flinn assured me we'd enjoy one another's company.

Thank you so much for this response. Next time, I'll work harder at being a better blogger. You didn't deserve this.

David

Jesus, why did I start a blog where everyone can see when I make an ass of myself? Oh, that's right, it's Olen Steinhauer's fault. Damn you, Olen. Damn you.

10 comments:

Sandra Ruttan said...

You know what it is I like so much about you David? You aren't afraid to be real. I don't know what Larry said. I don't know Larry. But what I saw was the sentiment of how you felt about something. You were a person, not untouchable superman who feels no pain.

That's something I can connect with. People who never get frustrated, who are never hurt, who don't care what people say, who never reveal any weakness or vulnerability - I can't relate to people like that. And I'm inclined to think they're fakes anyway, which makes me very suspicious of them. You regret your words sometimes - we all do (this is me talking here!) but you also own up to it.

Would it be nice not to ever blunder and need to apologize? I suppose so. A lot less embarrassing anyway. But while a lot of people online actually scare the bejeebers out of me and I'm honestly daunted by the idea of meeting them in person, you are someone I'd be ecstatic to have a drink with.

JD Rhoades said...

Hey, two good people got their signals bollixed up...but instead of it turning into a years long feud, both immediately cleared the air and made nice. The first happens a lot, the second, not so much. It's a good day.

Jason Pinter said...

Just remember, in case you can't settle your differences, the feud can be settled in a Celebrity Death Match.

Stephen Blackmoore said...

Personally, I'm surprised (and disappointed) that there were no fistfights this last weekend.

I was really hoping for a good bar brawl in the Biltmore bar. We could have had it out with the sorority girls.

I'm just thankful nobody sang kumbayah.

David Terrenoire said...

Those sorority girls would have kicked your ass, Stephen.

And probably for less money than you'd think.

Olen Steinhauer said...

Ha! So it's MY fault you bullied Mr Gandle into having to make a public apology? Mr Terrenoire, look out for my next blog entry, "Ten Blogs I Liked And One Blog That Tried To Frame Me For Libel."

I've never met Larry, but he favorably reviewed me, so he's one of my closest friends. Well, one of my only friends.

I'm just hoping I've cut down on the vodka martinis when we meet, or I might be up for a public whippin' afterward. (And no, I haven't gotten to reading it yet. It's on the way.)

But keep keepin it on. I've been under the weight of too many words lately and haven't been making the rounds. Dark Planet always part of the rounds.

David Terrenoire said...

Sandra,

As for letting everyone see my shortcomings, it's why I didn't go into the pool last weekend.

I'm also the worst politician in the world. People know what I'm thinking even when I'm trying to hide it, which means I'm also a terrible poker player.

Terrible.

David Terrenoire said...

Olen,

You are under no obligation to visit The Planet daily, although there will be an exam.

And this is all your fault.

Anonymous said...

Both of you were gent's-and that says much.

I agree with Rhoades - it's a good day.

David Terrenoire said...

Elaine,

Never agree with Dusty. It only encourages him.

As for it being all peaceful and harmonious, I couldn't be happier.