Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Beneath A Panamanian Moon nominated for a Gumshoe.



I was distracted by my troubles with blogger and didn't really give this honor the attention it deserves. David Montgomery, critic extraordinaire and ridiculously young for being so smart, along with Mystery Ink magazine, announced the nominees for this year's Gumshoe Award.

Best Mystery:
As Dog Is My Witness by Jeffrey Cohen (Bancroft Press)
The James Deans by Reed Farrel Coleman (Plume)
Savage Garden by Denise Hamilton (Scribner)
To the Power of Three by Laura Lippman (William Morrow)
The Wheelman by Duane Swierczynski (St. Martin's Minotaur)

Best Thriller:
The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly (Little, Brown)
Company Man by Joseph Finder (St. Martin's Press)
The Only Suspect by Jonnie Jacobs (Kensington)
Falls the Shadow by William Lashner (William Morrow)
Creepers by David Morrell (CDS Books)

Best European Crime Novel:
The Big Over Easy by Jasper Fforde (Viking)
Kiss Her Goodbye by Allan Guthrie (Hard Case Crime)
Jar City by Arnaldur Indridason (St. Martin's Minotaur)
Have Mercy on Us All by Fred Vargas (Simon & Schuster)
The Vanished Hands by Robert Wilson (Harcourt)

Best First Novel:
The Color of Law by Mark Gimenez (Doubleday)
Tilt-a-Whirl by Chris Grabenstein (Carroll & Graf)
The Baby Game by Randall Hicks (Wordslinger Press)
Sacred Cows by Karen E. Olson (Mysterious Press)
Beneath a Panamanian Moon by David Terrenoire (St. Martin's Minotaur)

Karen, Allan, and Duane are friendly visitors to The Planet, and I'm very happy to share a spot on this list with them.

But I know about awards and I know to enjoy this while it lasts. As an advertising writer I won a lot of awards, but this feels way different. This feels way better. Knowing that people are enjoying my book makes me feel almost as good as I did that weekend with the Stapleton sisters in Hermosa Beach. Almost. The difference is, these nominations won't leave a rash.

8 comments:

JD Rhoades said...

More congratulations, David!

Anonymous said...

"The difference is, these nominations won't leave a rash."

Must have been that Jello.

But seriously, I know what you mean about awards. Being in newspapers, there's a lot of emphasis on writing that award-winning story or headline but it's never meant that much to me. I agree that it's very cool to know that people are reading and enjoying my book, because this is much more personal than trying to write a clever headline for a planning and zoning meeting story.

Dave White said...

Congrats! We're gonna have to come up with a nickname for you fanclub too.

Daniel Hatadi said...

Wow! Congratulations!

Was that copy you sent me signed? Could be worth somethin' now ...

Unknown said...

Huge congrats, David.

Don't let White give your fans a goofy nickname. Mine are seriously pissed. And they're going to come after him.

David Terrenoire said...

I kinda like The Noiristas.

Or The Planeteers.

I'll let the fans decide.

Both of them.

Mystery Dawg said...

Hot Damn again! David, you know the saying lightening strikes twice, so I'm ready to hear a third nomination......

Congrats, the powers to be are starting to pay attention.

Anonymous said...

As one of of the two fans - and as the one who actually read the book - I suggest Monkey Man as the nickname. That or Grenade Boy. Either one is fine with me.

Congrats again. (Really getting tired of saying this though...:)