Monday, March 06, 2006

Today's winner...


Daniel Hatadi, of course. Smacks a double with the correct guess that this was Dame Christie's machine and if she wrote The Mousetrap on this, someone should take it out back and give it a good beating ala Office Space.

I started this to free up time for writing (which is going OK, thanks for asking) but I spent a huge amount of time looking for Dorothy Parker's typewriter because I love Parker. She was much more interesting than Agatha but it seems no one has built a little shrine like this to her, which is a shame. Next time I'm having drinks in the Algonquin, I'll bring it up.

Speaking of shrines, check out the next entry.

3 comments:

Daniel Hatadi said...

I'm going for Agatha Christie this time.

Why? The locked room.

Writeprocrastinator said...

Dorothy Parker going by your clue. Still I think it's someone that was portrayed using a fake nose a few years ago.

Olen Steinhauer said...

That's funny, because on the Nomad there's sometimes a pic of a typewriter at the top. It's from the Pera Palas Hotel in Istanbul, where Christie wrote Orient Express (they have an "Orient Express" bar, of course, pretty but overpriced). But in the lobby is a lame-ass broken down typewriter that's ostensibly the one she used for that book. Maybe it's true, or maybe, like a lot of authentic stuff I ran across, it's a load of shit.