Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Look At A Dark Planet's Even Darker Workings.

OK, this is real navel gazing, but as a lot of you are bloggers, I thought we'd tackle the question of self-editing.

When I posted about shaving, I originally used fig. 1. But that pushed the post from one of a cultural inquiry into licentious territory, and that's not what we're about here at The Planet, at least not in public. So I switched it out for a safe and funny fig. 2. I still didn't feel completely comfortable with the topic, but I figured, what the hell, they can't all be about the Supreme Court.

Obviously, I don't see anything wrong with language, but the use of the first picture pushed us too far into heavy-breathing territory for my comfort.

So I censored my own blog.

(As a side note, I got more comments, off the record, about the shaving post than I have for just about anything else. Interesting. )

Sandra has written some revealing things about her upbringing and Bryon's struggles are played out in living color over at his place. It's one thing if you have a stated topic, like Barry's political blog, or Sarah's focus on crime fiction, but the rest of us fall into the shiny object category, more or less, so I'm curious, are there topics you won't touch? Are there things that are out of bounds?

What makes you uncomfortable?

Or, in other words, I've shown you mine, now you show me yours.

12 comments:

John Rickards said...

I rarely talk about my personal life, but that's not so much because it'd make me feel uncomfortable, more that if I did it'd (a) bore people to death or (b) make me sound like a 15 year-old on LiveJournal, or (c), both.

Otherwise, I'm not fussed.

David Terrenoire said...

And that, John, is why we all love you so.

Jen Jordan said...

My answer would mimic JR's.

My aim is to entertain. I harbor no thoughts that anyone is interested in the minutiae of my life. Except that strange man that keeps emailing me.

I've covered topics from penis news to astronomy to politics to cuteness buffers - all are welcome, all are welcome. If you don't like it - don't come back, don't come back.

Stacey Cochran said...

You mean you haven't been reading?

http://staceycochran.com/_wsn/page5.html

PS I like the new picture much better:)

Stuart MacBride said...

There are loads of things I won't touch. Not with a shitty stick. Not with a shitty stick that has a photo of Ann Widdecombe's bum on it.

My personal minutiae is pretty much all I got. All froth and no substance - that's me.

John Rickards said...

I would never discuss Ann Widdecombe's bum.

You filthmonger!

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

It used to be teen sex and panties on the taboo list until you crossed that line, sort of, and whatever... I'm probably not going to broach pubes in my blog. It just some how has little or nothing particularly to do with being southern, but is more of a universal condition. At the end of the day, I suppose shaved or unshaved pubes are like opinions and bums, and most personal things, or as Bob Parker touched on in the first comment on this subject...a matter of person taste.

Dread

Anonymous said...

Did you really censor yourself? Knowing you, I'd say you're just more interested in going for the laugh.

The Planet wouldn't be the same without these great images.

Sandra Ruttan said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Elizabeth Krecker said...

There's only one topic i won't touch, though there are many that simply would never occur to me (like shaving, for example!).

I won't discuss romance in general, or the men I date in particular. Not for a second would i post their pictures or give them cute nicknames online or even describe a particularly romantic date by changing the names and locations to protect the innocent.

Why? Have you seen a lovers spat on the blogosphere? Yikes!! Not remotely worth the risk in my book...er...blog.

So, if you ever hear a word about a guy in my life (other than my son, my dad or my son's dad) it's because we've bought the ring, set the date, hired the band, walked the aisle, said our I dos and returned from the honeymoon.

Don't hold your breath or anything...might be a while.

Jen Jordan said...

"My personal minutiae is pretty much all I got. All froth and no substance - that's me."

Well, yours - all bodily functions and beardy wonderland - is interesting. Mine - all, reading, writing, kicking things - is boring. Thus, the difference.

JamesO said...

Having already done sticking my finger up a sheep's bum, there's not really anywhere I can't go on my blog.

But Anne Widdecombe? That's just sick.