Monday, June 19, 2006

My family should move right along, nothing to read here.


After writing about the Supreme Court, fatherhood, and service to one's country, it's time I turned my attention to something really important.

Do you shave? Are you obsessed with treating your nether hair as some sort of topiary? And is my generation the last to let nature take it's short and curly course down there?

I wouldn't bring it up at all except that I was playing a party recently and knew no one there except other members of the band. During a break, I wandered into a conversation about shaving and waxing and I quickly got a drink and skedaddled back to the moral certainty of my fellow musicians. But not before I heard one woman say that men like it because they really want to be with a little girl. "It's creepy," she said. That stuck with me.

This isn't something I've ever had to confront. I've been married for 26 years, longer than this has been a cultural phenomenon. Back when I was dating, a woman who didn't shave had hairy legs and armpits. And to be honest, I thought that was fine. I don't like to shave my face and the idea of a woman shaving some place as sensitive as her armpits makes me blanch. Not to mention shaving the happy taco. Ouch.

I've heard jokes about this on Sex and the City and I once overheard a girl say she shaved completely. A guy asked, "Not even a landing strip?" To which the girl replied, "They know where to land."

Back to that woman at the party. Are men who like their women shaved closet pedophiles? How is this different from preferring women who shave their legs?

And what about men? The idea of a razor sweeping around down there in the close company of the boys is not a comforting one. Sharp edges and soft flesh are not a happy combination.

So I'm putting it out there. I turn to you younger Planeteers for wisdom and guidance. Is this creepy? Is this generational? Is this just another manufactured fad like nose rings?

Let's talk about hair.

Or shaved. Your choice.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Dave, I decided to weigh in on this one. I agree shaving 'down there' is a popular trend these days. I don't think closet pedophia has anything to do with it. I think it's a lot to do with the popularity of oral sex, and not having to spit pubic hairs the next day. Secondly, the bathing suits are higher cut, or barely there, and hair sticking out from the sides of a sexy bikini...well...just don't look good.

Beneath the Carolina Moon said...

At my age, just having hair somewhere, anywhere, is a plus. No way I'm going to shave it off! A neat trim with the scissors to keep things tidy should do. But, to each their own.

Dread

Sandra Ruttan said...

Wow, David. A serious, thoughtful post everyone should spend some time reflecting on.

David Terrenoire said...

Sandra,

I thought this one was right in your strike zone.

Sandra Ruttan said...

You know me, Dave.

I guess the only thing you don't know is if I'm young and hip or an "old soul".

Elizabeth Krecker said...

I must be from the same generation as you, David. When a friend explained to me what a "Brazilian" was, I spit an entire glass of very expensive cabernet all over the very expensive porcelain tile of said friend's dining room floor.

Even more embarrassing? That was just six months ago.

And I thought I was cool once.